Hair Transplant in Sexual Reassignment Surgery situations is done only for Male to Female Transgenders/Transexual Males
After appropriate psychiatric assessment which is an essential component when anyone wishes SRS. These patients are usually already on female hormonal supplements with or without DHT blockers like Finasteride (Propecia) or Minoxidil (Rogaine).
Mostly patients in this category present with Grade 2 pattern to our clinic (66.7%) and remaining are – Grade 3 (22.5%), Grade 4-5 ( 7.6%) and Grades 6-7 (3.2%).
Hair Transplant is just one of the many procedures these patients will undergo. Others being- breast augmentation through implants, chin implants, vaginal reconstruction, malar bone reduction, nasal hump reduction and tip-plasty.
There is a higher prevalence of HIV positivity in the patients and hence great care should be taken while surgically handling them.
For the hairline, the following points need to be taken into consideration:-
1. The hairline recession has ceased after stopping hormones and DHT blockers.
2. Prominent temples and widow’s peak need to be designed in consultation with the patient to give a heart-shaped hairline.
3. Since hair loss has stopped due to the elimination of the source of testosterone, higher densities should be achieved. The baldness is not likely to progress any further.
4. To counteract testosterone secreted by adrenal glands, Tab Finasteride should be continued for some more time in those with a strong family history of androgenetic alopecia
Mostly transgender Male to Female hairline restoration is hugely satisfying.
1. Pathomvanich D, Bertram Ng (2008) Laser-assisted hairline placement. Hair Transplant Forum International 18(5)
2. Sheill RC (2004) Hair transplant in the transsexual male.In: Hair Transplantation, 4th edn. Dekker, New York, pp 602-606
The 'Ugly Duckling' phase of surgical hair restoration is a euphemism for that period of the timeline of hair transplant result when it is in the healing phase of hair transplant when the crusts are present and they give an unkempt look and also when after they shed, the phase of shedding of graft hairs and later the shock loss…More
Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and is linked to emotions and very often the patient would want to know how long it will take his grafts to grow and he will see a result. Patients are mostly impatient and for a reason. After a period of shedding that starts after 7days after the procedure and continues till 4-6 weeks,…More
A beard is in fashion today and since a hair transplant procedure has made it possible for everyone to grow a beard, these procedures are in demand. There are many circumstances in which a request for a beard hair transplant should be discouraged. These are instances when a beard hair transplant should never be done. A young boy of…More