x

Timeline of hair regrowth after hair transplant – What to expect!

Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and is linked to emotions and very often the patient would want to know how long it will take his grafts to grow and he will see a result. Patients are mostly impatient and for a reason. After a period of shedding that starts after 7days after the procedure and continues till 4-6 weeks, the follicles begin to regrow.

The hair regrowth is slow and steady and often tardy when medication is ignored after hair transplant. Till the 4 months, mark hair are wispy thin and the growth is pretty much see-through. The hairline is not distinct. This is the ugly duckling phase in many ways and the patient who has received the FUE hair transplant begins to wonder when he will see a result after the hair transplant. He starts to compare before and after results on youtube to the extent that he gets obsessed. Hence for the benefit of such people so they get a clear picture of when their hair will grow back after the hair transplant in this video I have provided a timeline of hair growth after hair transplant till the patient gets a complete result. This starts from the day after the procedure and continues up to 5 months mark and then at 6 months when the result is almost complete. 9-12 months following the hair transplant is the consolidation phase in the timeline for the result. So when a patient asks me when he will get a result, I often state that the shedding period after a hair transplant will be complete at 4-6 weeks, and then the hair will begin to break through the skin. This is associated with itching which is a good sign of regrowth. Regrowth is aided by taking DHT blockers like Propecia (Finasteride) and Minoxidil. At the months’ mark there is a distinct change in appearance when the hairline had grown out. However, the hairs are thin and lack body of fullness. This is made up for rather fast in the next one month till the patient reaches the 6 months mark. After 6 months in the period after hair transplant in the timeline, it is 85 % result achieved. Remaining 15% happens between 9-12 months.

One of the most misunderstood aspects of FUE is the shedding of the new hair. Many patients either aren’t told or do not hear, that the majority of the newly transplanted hairs will fall out, in a process known as anagen effluvium, within the first 3 to 8 weeks. Often, this happens in a wave at about weeks 3 to 4. Patients may be quite upset if the beard-like stubble they have been proudly caressing many times a day is now becoming sparse. This is perfectly normal and to be expected for 60-90% of the grafts. They start to return from about 3 to 4 months post-operatively; initially, they emerge as finer hairs and gain length and diameter as their growth continues. By the end of the first year, the “new” hairs should be as robust as the other, “native” terminal hairs. They will also gain length at the same rate as non-transplanted hairs, which is roughly one-half inch per month.

Sometimes during this first month, the patient may notice small hairs being shed along with their bulbs. They may even come out along with the small “crusts” within the first week or two. All this is normal, and it must be understood that the germinal material, which will be the source of the new hair, is still inside at the base of the follicle. Unless there is bleeding at a graft site, there has been no loss of a viable graft.

Latest From Blog

Hair Transplant Ugly Duckling Phase – Everything you need to know

The 'Ugly Duckling' phase of surgical hair restoration is a euphemism for that period of the timeline of hair transplant result when it is in the healing phase of hair transplant when the crusts are present and they give an unkempt look and also when after they shed, the phase of shedding of graft hairs and later the shock loss…

More

Timeline of hair regrowth after hair transplant – What to expect!

Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and is linked to emotions and very often the patient would want to know how long it will take his grafts to grow and he will see a result. Patients are mostly impatient and for a reason. After a period of shedding that starts after 7days after the procedure and continues till 4-6 weeks,…

More

When not to get a Beard hair transplant

A beard is in fashion today and since a hair transplant procedure has made it possible for everyone to grow a beard, these procedures are in demand. There are many circumstances in which a request for a beard hair transplant should be discouraged. These are instances when a beard hair transplant should never be done. A young boy of…

More

Restoring Your Hair Changes Everything!
Consult with Award Winning Hair Transplant Surgeon

Darling Buds Hair Transplant Clinic India

Need Help Contact Us Now!

Enquire Now
darlingbuds