A natural hairline after hair transplant is the most sought after trait of a successful hair transplant. A fake hairline that does not go according to the tenets of hairline construction can be made out from a distance and invites second glances. This can give lesser confidence to a bald person and negates the reason why he went for a hairline restoration in the first place to improve self-image and confidence through hair transplant.
A hairline that looks unnatural can be pluggy (Barbie doll look), can be lower than what is appealing to the eye and can be low in density. All these are a giveaway.
A good hair transplant is defined as one which gives a subtle and appealing look and does not invite second glances. Most importantly and the final test of naturalness is that the person’s barber should not be able to tell the difference once the result has set in.
So what makes for a great natural looking and dense hairline?
1. A hairline should go with racial and facial structural characteristics
2. A hairline should not be dated- it should be age-appropriate and should look natural even after 50 years
3. The hairline should be soft and the transition from the leading edge should be gradual. This can be done by planting single hair grafts in the leading 1-3 rows.
4. A hairline should have macro-irregularities and micro-irregularities for it to look natural and not linear. Linearity does not occur in nature.
5. The hairline should not be perfectly symmetrical on left and right. Variations up to 2 mm are normal. Hence a hairline should never be designed using laser equipment since this will look unnatural. Good hairline design is always a freehand design.
6. There should be no abrupt acute angles
7. Not even the patient’s barber should not be able to tell that he underwent a hair transplant.
To know more, watch this video-
The 'Ugly Duckling' phase of surgical hair restoration is a euphemism for that period of the timeline of hair transplant result when it is in the healing phase of hair transplant when the crusts are present and they give an unkempt look and also when after they shed, the phase of shedding of graft hairs and later the shock loss…More
Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and is linked to emotions and very often the patient would want to know how long it will take his grafts to grow and he will see a result. Patients are mostly impatient and for a reason. After a period of shedding that starts after 7days after the procedure and continues till 4-6 weeks,…More
A beard is in fashion today and since a hair transplant procedure has made it possible for everyone to grow a beard, these procedures are in demand. There are many circumstances in which a request for a beard hair transplant should be discouraged. These are instances when a beard hair transplant should never be done. A young boy of…More